From Instaface to Snaptok: an Introduction to Social Media Literacy
Are you someone who can’t tell their TikTok from their Tumblr? Maybe you want to make a professional Twitter account or to understand what is going on with odd Facebook comments.
This basic course will teach the ins and outs of social media: the dos and don’ts of making a Facebook post and how to avoid a faux-pas on a blogging site.
Purpose: Community Learning
Duration: 10.5 hours over 7 weeks, Tuesdays 12.30pm – 2.00pm
Next course: 11 May 2021
What will I need?
In order to access Ruskin’s online courses, you will need a computer/laptop/tablet/smart phone with:
- a webcam
- speakers and microphone
- portable headset
- access to Google Meet
You should also be able to send and receive emails, open links in emails and open and save documents.
If you need assistance, please contact Student Services on 01865 759600.
Aims and Objectives
This course will cover communicating digitally, safety online, using social media for business, trends and challenges, and other topics which will help you stay up to date in this ever-evolving digital landscape.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain safety risks in social mediums
- Discuss curation of online material
- Compare how social media can be used for personal and business reasons
- Reflect on the dynamic nature of social media
How will I be assessed?
On this course you will be assessed through:
- INDUCTION: You will have the opportunity to record your questions and impressions of different social media platforms.
- INITIAL ASSESSMENT: You will submit your notes after the first week as a small piece of writing outlining these previously mentioned questions and ideas. From here the tutor will work with you to understand your starting points.
- CHALLENGING LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Following this, you will submit a journal entry (the format of this will change as per your learning plans) each week as the course continues so that you can track what you have learnt over the lesson and can record where your understanding is progressing. Using these, individual objectives/targets can be reviewed and renegotiated during the course.
- FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT: You will submit a digital review of how your understanding of social media has changed using your journal entries from the previous sessions.
- SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT: You will submit a review (differing with different student plans, a blog, a letter) of a social media platform which demonstrates your learning through the course. Feedback will be provided by the tutor.
Who is the course for?
This course is ideal if you are interested in using social media in a personal or professional setting.
At Ruskin we offer a wide range of Creative, Digital and Computer Skills courses.
What will it cost me?
This course is free for learners in Oxfordshire who are unemployed or earning less than £17,004 per annum. For other local people the cost of the course is £60.
If you live outside of Oxfordshire there may be additional costs. Please contact us to find out more.
Please call us on 01865 759600 or email email@example.com.