Get Growing! Basic Horticulture Skills
This course will introduce you to horticulture, giving you the skills and confidence to start growing your own plants, whether in a windowbox, city garden or across rolling acres!
Build up your knowledge and skills as the seasons unfold in the beautiful walled garden, orchard and meadow of Ruskin College.
Purpose: Community Learning
Delivery: On campus
Duration: 28 hours over 8 weeks, Tuesdays 10.00am – 1.00pm
Next course: 9 March 2021
By the end of this course you will gain practical skills in and knowledge of:
- Tools – identification, usage, care
- Soil – compost, nutrients, soil fauna
- Propagation – seed sowing, cuttings, division
- Pests and diseases – identification, treatment and prevention
- Gardening with wildlife in mind
- Botany – the roles of different plant parts, identifying, labeling, different types of plant
- Flower, fruit and vegetable growing
- Basic maintenance, deadheading, pruning, weeding, lawn care
- Planning for their own garden
How will I be assessed?
During this course you will be assessed through:
- Informal questioning
- Short activities
- Garden journal
What do I need?
All resources and materials for this course will be provided. Written material will be available on google classroom.
This could lead onto one of the Horticulture and Sustainability courses available at Ruskin.
What will it cost me?
The cost for this course is £120. It is free if you are unemployed or earning less than £17,004 per annum.
To participate in this course you will need basic computer skills.
To enrol online please first select Sign in or Create an Account. This will open a separate window, where you can set up your Ruskin account. (By setting up a Ruskin account, you will be able to log in quickly and easily in future to apply for other Ruskin College courses.)
Once you have successfully created your account, please return to this page and select Enrol Now, where you will be able to complete your enrolment on the course.
Please call us on 01865 759600 or email email@example.com.