Ever wanted to try your hand at calligraphy, but there are no suitable classes in the area that fits in with your free time?
Have you seen calligraphy on the internet or in books and equipment for sale but don’t know where to start?
Then this could be the taster course for you.
Great for both left- and right-handers, you will be working online with an experienced calligraphy tutor and can try your hand at modern calligraphy from the comfort of your own home as part of a group of beginners.
Purpose: Community Learning
Duration: Workshop: 2 hoursShort Course: 5 sessions of 2 hoursFull Course: 10 sessions of 2 hours
Next course: Short Course (Evening): 25 January, Mondays 7.30 – 9,00pmWorkshop: 27 January 2021, Wednesdays 10.00am – 12.00pmShort Course (Day): 24 February, Wednesdays 10.00am – 12.00pmFull Course: 21 April, Wednesdays 10.00am – 12.00pm
What will I need?
For the sessions you will need:
- Plain paper
- Sharpened pencil (HB is ideal)
- Brush pen (Tombow Fudenosuke WS-BH150 or WS-BS is a good choice) or a pointed nib (not traditional calligraphy nib, more like a fountain pen) to use with a holder and ink
- Access to a printer will be useful as there will be PDF guideline sheets to printout
No prior knowledge of calligraphy is required.
In order to access Ruskin’s online courses, you will need a computer/laptop/tablet/smart phone with:
- a webcam
- speakers and microphone
- portable headset
- access to Google Meet
You should also be able to send and receive emails, open links in emails and open and save documents.
If you need assistance, please contact Student Services on 01865 759600.
By the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- Select the appropriate equipment used in modern calligraphy
- Demonstrate basic, transition strokes
- Explore the construction of the letters
- Apply the techniques to a selection of simple calligraphic projects
- Discuss possible next steps concerning modern or other styles of calligraphy
How will I be assessed?
You will carry out an initial questionnaire to establish your knowledge, skill and aspirations for modern calligraphy.
There will be continual assessment by both teacher and student.
The tutor will provide demonstration of techniques and discussion on progress and any queries that may arise during the class. There will be PDF worksheets that will accompany the workshop.
At Ruskin we offer a range of further qualification to boost your wellbeing and expand your interests. You may alternatively want to pursue more Calligraphy courses via local and national calligraphy societies.
What will it cost me?
Short Course: £35
Full Course: £60
It is free if you are unemployed or earning less than £17,004 per annum.
Please call us on 01865 759600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.