Winter Wildlife Gardening
This course will help you become more aware of the wonderful wildlife around us, why we are so dependent on it for food production and how to encourage it in our gardens.
Get outside – even in the winter – and learn how we can get growing with wildlife in mind.
Possible visits to other gardens/nurseries.
Purpose: Community Learning
Delivery: On campus
Duration: 12 hours over 4 weeks, Fridays 10.00am – 1.00pm
Next course: 26 February 2021
- Be able to identify some birds, insects, and other creatures that visit our garden
- Know which creatures are beneficial to the garden and how they are helpful
- Appreciate how wildlife is interdependent
- Know some ways to encourage beneficial wildlife
- Wildlife identification, read a key, devise an identification chart
- Know why food chains are important
- Soil and compost maintenance
- Identify and create beneficial habitats – wormery, logpile, leaf mound, bird hide, bird feeder, bee homes…
- Grow a variety of plants from seed collected, planting out, protecting
- Produce and nurture useful plants without using chemicals
- Winter pruning, getting ready for Spring in the garden
How will I be assessed?
During this course you will be assessed through:
- Informal questioning
- Creating a simple garden plan showing adaptations that will encourage wildlife
What do I need?
Ideally you will have access to a pen and paper.
All resources will be provided. All written materials will be made available on google classroom.
This could lead onto one of the Horticulture and Sustainability courses available at Ruskin.
What will it cost me?
The cost for this course is £60. It is free if you are unemployed or earning less than £17,004 per annum.
To participate in this course you will need basic computer skills.
To enrol online please first select Sign in or Create an Account. This will open a separate window, where you can set up your Ruskin account. (By setting up a Ruskin account, you will be able to log in quickly and easily in future to apply for other Ruskin College courses.)
Once you have successfully created your account, please return to this page and select Enrol Now, where you will be able to complete your enrolment on the course.
Please call us on 01865 759600 or email email@example.com.