Fees for Higher Education Courses

Ruskin College charges all full-time UK, EU and international students the same fees per year, see below for details.


Tuition Fees   2017/18  
Certificate of Higher Education   Full Time Part Time
Level 4 £9,000 -
BA (Hons) Degree                                             
Full Time
Part Time
Social Work
Level 4
Applied Social Science
Level 4
Community Development & Youth Work
Level 4
Foundation Degree   Full Time Part Time
Health and Social Care Level 5 £9,000 £6,000
MA Programmes   Full Time Part Time
Global Labour Social Change Level 7 £7,850 £3,925














Tuition fee loans for UK and EU full-time students

You don't pay for tuition up front. The government will provide a loan to cover your full tuition charges. You or your parents don't have to contribute anything now – you start to pay your loan back yourself once you graduate and are earning at least £21,000 a year.

To apply for a tuition fee loan contact Student Finance England.

Part-time UK students

Eligible part-time students also have access to loans for tuition fees. You won't have to pay upfront as long as it's your first degree.

To apply for a tuition fee loan please contact Student Finance England. As with full-time students, you won’t have to pay anything until you are earning above £21,000.

Repaying your loan

Repayments will be 9% of any income you earn above £21,000, so the amount you repay each month will depend on your earnings. Examples of monthly repayments for loans covering tuition and living costs:


Monthly Repayments














Repayments will be deducted automatically from your pay packet. All outstanding repayments will be written off after 30 years.

Maintenance Loans for living costs

In addition to the tuition fee loan, you can apply for a maintenance loan to help pay for your living costs (food, travel, accommodation etc.). It’s paid each year in three instalments.

Full-time UK students with a household income below £25,000 are entitled to a loan of up to £8,430 towards living costs. Students from families with incomes above £25,000 are also entitled to maintenance loans. How much you can borrow depends on the year of your course, where you live, your household income, your age, and whether you can claim welfare benefits. Contact Student Finance England to find out more.


Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) bursary.

This bursary is available to eligible students in their second year of study (students cannot apply for it during their first year of study). Eligible students will be provided with information on the HCPC bursary during their studies.

Whether you’re a teenager thinking of going to university or an adult wanting to retrain, there may be a grant or loan to help fund your learning. Visit the Money Saving Expert for more information:


Higher Education students on postgraduate courses (Level 7)

Post graduate students are responsible for the payment of tuition fees and residence and catering fees if applicable.  

You may find the following sites useful:  

Funding for Postgraduate Study 

Postgraduate Studentship

International students

International students are responsible for the payment of tuition fees and all maintenance costs. 

You can apply for a course if all of the following apply:

  • You’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
  • You normally live in England
  • You’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.
You may also be eligible if your residency status is one of the following:

  • Refugee
  • Humanitarian protection
  • EEA migrant worker
  • Child of a Swiss national
  • Child of a Turkish worker

You may also be eligible if you’re not a UK national and are either:

  • From an EU country
  • Under 18 and have lived in the UK for at least 7 years
  • 18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years (or at least half of your life)

You may find this site useful: British Council


Candidates who have been offered and have accepted a place at Ruskin College may be eligible to apply for one of the following awards:

The DH Daines Memorial Trust
The DH Daines Memorial Trust offers a scholarship to men or women members of the Labour Party who live in the former counties of London and Middlesex. Applications should be addressed to:

The DH Daines Memorial Trust
The Labour Party
Greater London Regional Office
16 Charles Square
N1 6HP

Candidates applying for, or entered for one or more of the above scholarships may also apply or be entered for any appropriate scholarship in the following list, but only one scholarship may be held. In all cases funds are limited and late applications to the College will be disadvantaged. 

Trade Union Scholarships

For the following scholarships, candidates should contact: 01865 759600 or enquiries@ruskin.ac.uk
of their eligibility once they have been offered and have accepted their place (candidates must list the trade union they belong to on the relevant part of the application form).

General Federation of Trade Union Scholarships

Two Hodgson Scholarships are open to members of unions affiliated to GFTU. Two Potts Scholarships are open to members of any union.

Unite (Transport and General Workers Union)

Bursaries are available to members of the T & G with not less than two years continuous financial membership.

Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association/Unity Trust Bank

One scholarship is open to TSSA members or dependants of members.

Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS)

Enquiries about scholarships should be made to:

Education Department
160 Falcon Road
SW11 2LN

Club and Institute Union

The Hodgson Pratt Scholarship is open to one clubman or woman. Full details and application forms are available from:

Education Secretary
Club and Institute Union
Club Union House
251 – 256 Upper Street
N1 1RY


Enquiries should be addressed to the relevant regional office.

Unite (AMICUS)

Enquiries about scholarships for members should be addressed to:

Education Department
Unite (AMICUS)
Hayes Court
West Common Road


The Stanley Dearmun Memorial Scholarship is open to members of Connect. Enquiries should be addressed to:

General Secretary
30 St George’s Road
SW19 4BD

Union of Construction, Allied Trades and Technicians

One award is offered under the UCATT Centenary Scholarship scheme to members. Enquiries should be addressed to:

General Secretary
Union of Construction, Allied Trades and Technicians
177 Abbeville Road

Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers

The union offers a Chance of a Lifetime Scholarship. Eligibility for a scholarship will be dependent on candidates informing the union’s Education Department, prior to attending the College interview, that an application to the College has been made. Enquiries should be addressed to:

Education Department
188 Wilmslow Road
M14 6IJ


Enquiries about scholarships for members should be addressed to:

Education Department
1 Mabledon Place
WC14 9AJ

Trades Union Congress

The Trades Union Congress Educational Trust offers six scholarships open to members of unions affiliated to the TUC. Eligible candidates accepted by Ruskin College should contact: 01865 759600 or enquiries@ruskin.ac.uk

Other scholarships may be available to students studying on a long course at Ruskin College. To search for scholarships that you may be eligible for please visit www.hotcourses.com