Diploma in Counselling Practice Level 4
Study on this two year part-time programme and gain the knowledge, skills and competencies you need to work as a therapeutic counsellor in an agency context.
Purpose: Higher Education
Guided Learning Hours: 210
Duration: 1 year part-time, Wednesdays, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Next course: 7 September 2020
What are the qualifications about?
This qualification is designed to lead to an employed or voluntary role in a counselling agency in both health care and non-medical settings. On successful completion, you will be able to provide a therapeutic counselling service.
Who are they for?
If you have previous experience and/or training in counselling, which has enhanced your understanding of the area, this would be a great course for you.
What do I need?
Ideally you will have have completed a Level 3 qualification in Counselling.
Why choose Ruskin College?
Ruskin is a friendly and inclusive college, with an ethos that puts you very much at the centre of the learning experience. It is the ideal environment to work towards your rewarding career in counselling.
What sorts of things do they cover?
- Supervised Practice in Counselling
- Counselling Theory: A Chosen Approach
- Counselling in Organisations
- Transactional Analysis
- Working with Addictive Behaviour
- Working with Anxiety
- Working with Brief Therapy
- Working with Children and Young People
- Working with Couples
- Working with Depression
- Working with Grief and Loss
- Working with Groups
- Working with Sex and Sexuality
- Working with Stress
- Working with Trauma
How will I learn and be assessed?
You will be assessed through:
- Written Exam
- Scenario Analysis
- Supervised Practice: Through attending regular counselling supervisions and considering these sessions, you will reflect on your work with clients, your chosen approach and the key issues that have arisen. You will complete 100 hours of supervised practice and submit a supervisor’s report. You will also do 10 hours personal therapy and 17 hours clinical supervision.
How long do they take?
Guided learning hours are the hours you spend learning with your training provider or on your own. The guided learning hours for this qualification are:
- Level 4: 210 hours
Usual course length
Completing the Level 4 Certificate in Counselling usually takes:
- 1 year part-time, 1 day a week, Wednesdays, 10.00am – 5.00pm
What jobs could they lead to?
This qualification is designed to lead you into an employed or voluntary role in a counselling agency in health care or non-medical settings. With sufficient experience you can also begin working as an independent practitioner in private practice.
You can also go on to study Counselling at Levels 5 and 6.
What would it cost me?
For more information visit our University Programmes Fees and Funding page.